LOS ANGELES — An Indiana man who was on his way to LA Pride in West Hollywood last year when he was arrested in Santa Monica, where police seized weapons, ammunition and bomb-making materials found in his car, entered a plea of not guilty Tuesday.
APPEARS IN COURT
James Wesley Howell, 20, entered the plea during his arraignment at the Airport Branch Courthouse.
Howell’s next court appearance is April 27 for a pretrial conference.
If he is convicted on all counts, Howell could face up to nine years and eight months in jail, said Greg Risling, a spokesman with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.
Howell remains jailed in lieu of $2 million bail, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s website.
Howell, who was arrested on June 12 about 5 a.m. by Santa Monica police, told police he was planning to attend the 46th annual LA Pride Parade and Festival in West Hollywood, but made no reference to wanting to harm anyone, police said.
The incident alarmed many people because it took place a few hours after a gunman, who was eventually fatally shot, killed 49 people in a mass shooting at the Orlando, Florida, gay nightclub Pulse.
But Santa Monica police officials said there was no known connection between Howell and the Pulse nightclub massacre.
The police were called after Howell was seen knocking on a resident’s door and window.