LONG BEACH – Come out, come out, wherever you are.
More than 60,000 revelers are expected to join in the two days of festivities of the 34th Annual Long Beach Gay and Lesbian Festival and Parade is this weekend.
Are you ready? Are you prepared?
In an interview with Q Voice News, Jewels gives us her survival guide to Long Beach Pride.
- Wear plenty of sunscreen. Protect your skin. “Nobody wants to look like your mom’s old leather purse,” Jewels said.
- Wear comfortable shoes. “For pride weekend, you will be spending hours on your feet, dancing for your life and waiting in line,” Jewels said. “Appropriate shoes are a must.”
- Don’t drive to the festival or parade. Parking in Long Beach is always a challenge, but this weekend will be insane. Take transit, walk or ride your bike. “Nothing is less fashionable than driving around for hours looking for parking,” she said.
- Cash money, honey. ATMs are few and far between, and they always have a line — if they are working.
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Drink plenty of fluids, not just cocktails. A good rule of thumb is a bottle of water for each drink. “Drink lots of water,” she said. “You don’t want to fall over.”
- Have an extra battery for your cell phone or have it fully charged. If you’re not using your cell phone, keep it in airplane mode to conserve the battery. “That way,” Jewels said, “you kind find that cute trick later, after the main shenanigans.”