Campus Pride’s 2021 Best of the Best LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges and Universities list includes campuses in all regions of the United States, from Massachusetts to Washington, from Vermont to Texas; however, no campuses in Southern California made the top 30 list, except San Diego State University.
This year, Campus Pride also highlights community colleges and religious schools that embrace inclusion.
“More than ever, colleges today want to be viewed as LGBTQ-friendly and a welcoming place for all students. LGBTQ students and their safety impacts the recruitment efforts of the entire campus,” Campus Pride executive director Shane Windmeyer said in a press release.
“Upper-level administrators are now understanding how LGBTQ-friendliness is key to academic success of students and the future institutional success of the campus,” he said.
Campus Pride Index is a benchmarking tool that tracks LGBTQ-friendly policies, programs, and practices at colleges and universities.
California law requires private colleges to disclose anti-LGBTQ policies
Campus Pride is the only national nonprofit organization for student leaders and campus groups working to create a safer college environment for LGBTQ students. The group develops resources, programs and services (including the Campus Pride Index) to support LGBTQ and ally students on college campuses across the United States
Any college or university may participate in the LGBTQ-Friendly Campus Pride Index. Once registered online, the campus would complete the index tool of more than 50 self-assessment questions that correlate to eight different LGBTQ-friendly factors:
- LGBTQ Policy Inclusion
- LGBTQ Support & Institutional Commitment
- LGBTQ Academic Life
- LGBTQ Student Life
- LGBTQ Housing
- LGBTQ Campus Safety
- LGBTQ Counseling & Health
- LGBTQ Recruitment and Retention Efforts.
Once the survey is completed, the college will receive a confidential report with results and recommendations. Each campus will receive a basic campus profile with limited results for the public to view with the option of adding information like contact details and photos; however, a campus may also opt out of sharing information online.
The Best of the Best list includes 30 four-year institutions that have achieved five out of five stars on the Campus Pride Index.
Antioch University offers groundbreaking LGBTQ-psychology program
Here they are organized by region of the country.
- University of Maryland
- Montclair State University, New Jersey
- Hofstra University, New York
- Ithaca College, New York
- Lehigh University, Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania State University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Kansas State University
- Southern Illinois University
- Indiana University
- Kent State University, Ohio
- Kenyon College, Ohio
- University of Wisconsin Eau Claire
- University of Wisconsin Green Bay
- University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- Tufts University, Massachusetts
- University of Massachusetts
- University of Vermont
- Northern Kentucky University
- University of Kentucky
- Elon University, North Carolina
- University of Virginia
- Texas Tech University
- University of Texas at Dallas
- San Diego State University
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- University of Northern Colorado
- Southern Oregon University
- University of Oregon
- Washington State University
The listings for community colleges and religious schools include those institutions that have inclusive policies, programs, and practices and scored 3.5 or higher stars in their respective categories.
This list is organized alphabetically by state.
- Red Rocks Community College, Colorado
- Dutchess Community College, New York
- SUNY Westchester Community College, New York
- Pellissippi State Community College, Tennessee
- San Antonio College, Texas
- Salt Lake Community College, Utah
- Everett Community College, Washington
- North Seattle College, Washington
- Loyola Marymount University, California
- Emory University, Georgia
- Augsburg University, Minnesota
- Guilford College, North Carolina
- Willamette University, Oregon
- Lebanon Valley College, Pennsylvania
- Southern Methodist University, Texas
- Virginia Wesleyan University
- Gonzaga University, Washington
- Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.