Long Beach Proud, a queer Pride festival, takes place this weekend.
The three-day event will happen in three locations around the Alamitos Beach neighborhood, home to the city’s historic “gayborhood” of shops, restaurants, and bars.
That area also includes the Broadway corridor that runs from Alamitos Avenue to Redondo Avenue.
“Acknowledging and highlighting our local queer community is vital for this event,” Long Beach Proud founder Sal Flores, who identifies as gay, said in a press release. “Without the courage of our local queer activists, bars, and talent over the years, there would be no fight for equality, gay marriage, or Pride celebrations.”
Here’s what you need to know about Long Beach Proud.
Friday from 5 to 10 p.m.
- Long Beach Proud kicks off with Night Out, a block party bar crawl hybrid. Businesses along Broadway, between Orange and Junipero avenues, will feature pop ups, artist reception, live music, entertainment, drink specials, food promotions, and drag performances.
- Some of those businesses include Beach Garden Social House, Black Bar, The Brit, Hot Stuff, Mineshaft, and Sweetwater Saloon.
Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Long Beach Proud Festival is the main event. It will take place in Bixby Park and on First and Second streets between Cherry and Junipero avenues. It’s happening in conjunction with the city’s Beach Streets, meaning Broadway will be closed to vehicles from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The free, family-friendly Long Beach Proud Festival will feature 20 food trucks and pop ups on First and Second streets and three beer gardens.
- Exhibits and art installations will be displayed in the park.
- Located on three stages, 18 queer musical acts and DJs are scheduled to perform Latin, electronica, and R&B.
- “RuPaul’s Drag Race” finalists Delta Work and Mayhem Miller and Long Beach’s Jewels will be among 18 drag queens and kings who will be werking it.
Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
- The Big Gay Beach Takeover is a free party that will take place at the rainbow lifeguard tower on the beach at 11th Place and Ocean Boulevard.
- Food trucks, games, and house and EDM DJs will be at the beach.