SAN DIEGO — San Diego Pride said Thursday that due to the ongoing threat of the coronavirus, all in-person, mass gathering events scheduled for July are cancelled.
The announcement was announced in an email to supporters, who were told that the decision was made “after weeks of thoughtful consideration.”
San Diego Pride was scheduled for July 18 and 19.
“Given the realities of the COVID-19 pandemic, large-scale events such as Pride Parades and Festivals are simply not possible and pose too much of a risk to public health and safety,” the email read.
San Diego Pride executive director Fernando Z. López said the spirit of Pride lives on.
“Pride is not canceled. In-person mass gatherings are canceled,” López said in the email. “Nothing can strip away our pride. Nothing can deny us the pride our community has built inside ourselves, our community, or the broader world.
“We will still find ways to raise our Pride flags, celebrate the vibrancy of our community, and bring to light the issues that our movement still faces,” López said.
Sue Hartman, San Diego Pride board of directors co-chair, said “Rest assured, our community will find ways to celebrate Pride together again.”
In March, Long Beach Pride and LA Pride announced that they had postponed their festivals and parades. Earlier this month, San Francisco Pride said they had canceled their festival and parade.
The writing was on the wall for Pride.
This week, Gov. Gavin Newsom presented his road map for recovery of the state’s economy and public health. He warned that until procedures were implemented and thresholds achieved that would minimize the risks of people being exposed to COVID-19, no large gatherings would take place in the immediate future.
Pride said it is still investigating safe and remote options that will allow the community to celebrate Pride and will update the community when plans are confirmed.